Sunday, February 01, 2009

I guess these are my latest excuses...

Lots to say, very few minutes to say it in...

We have been crazy busy for quite some time now. I'll start by telling you that we still haven't put our christmas cards in the mail. We were slackers and got our photos done too close to Chrismas then our computer died completely (it had our mailing list with addressess on it.) Aaron fixed said computer Jan 8th or 9th but by then our plumbing problems were just starting.

To be brief, after many days of super slow kitchen sink drainage the main sewer line clogged so bad that sewer began to spew from a pipe into our laundry room! The stink and mess were awful. Luckily, 2 wonderful women in our ward called to help out. One let me wash all the sewer laundry at her house and the other came over with a super duper steam cleaner that removed all traces of the sewer water. They both top my "respect" list (like Carolyn and Leslie for scrubbing my bathrooms when I was 7 months pregnant.) The plumber came, took out the toilet and ran 100 feet of roto-rooter line down into the pipes. He fixed it and left the place pretty clean afterwards.

A few days later, just as I was finishing the rest of the backed up laundry and dishes our heater began some seriously crazy mini explosions when starting up. Sometimes the whole house would shake and we would get quite scared. It took a while to get a heater man out to fix it 'cuz it was during the crazy low temperatures that Aaron posted about. He was scheduled to come many times but had to to reschedule because he had true emergencies to deal with (people without heat at all.) When he finally came he cleaned out the heater but the explosions were worse! Ian happened to be standing in front of the heater when yellow flames exploded out of the heater grate! Luckily, he didn't get burned. We opted to turn the heater off completely and use space heaters until the next day when the heater man returned with a longer cleaning tool. That did the trick. He said there must have been a small spider web inside. Crazy.

The next week on Wednesday I fell down the stairs while carrying Ian. We were super lucky. Ian landed hard on his bottom on a step and I slid on my backside down to the bottom. I reached my arms back and bore most of the impact on the back of my forearms and on my lower back. I had bruises on my arms and lower back but I consider us SUPER lucky since I didn't bang my big pregnant belly and Ian didn't land on his head!

Two days later I took the kids sledding. I only went down a small hill one time with Ian but my back just wouldn't function after that. Aaron can attest to the fact that my back has gotten in the way of almost all housework functions. It has been 1 week with us living this way. I am currently icing it now. Thank you, Aaron, for all that you have been doing!

8 comments:

Vicki said...

Oh, I am so sorry about your back. That is so scary that you fell down the stairs - let alone with a pregnant belly and a child in arms. It sounds like you may need a little more than ice :) Ouch

Anonymous said...

Poor Shanna, poor Olmsteds! What a way to kick off the new year! I hope things start looking up for all of you soon. I miss you!

Chellers said...

What craziness you've been going through! I'm so glad to hear your fall wasn't more dangerous...still so scary. I would have been reduced to a puddle of tears, especially pregnant! I hope the weather improves and that your home stays intact for the rest of your time in Cleveland. Much love from Cali.

Amy said...

Shanna! That is a ton of stuff going on for you guys. I am sorry! I am glad that people helped you out because you have been such a great example of service to me. We miss you guys so much. Cali still talks about Jacen all the time.

Jessica said...

wow. tough month! Back troubles are the worst. Feel better soon! Thanks for blogging, I miss you!

Dave and Ginger said...

Girlie, these stories are crazy. When it rains it pours! Take care of you and that baby girl!! Glad nothing happened to Ian with the flames and stairs, as well as you and the baby. No more sleds until *after* the baby is born!!

Anonymous said...

.....this is known as hell. Been there and always happy to leave! I wish I was closer to help!
How is the back? Being pregnant is not going to help is it? OH>>>>> I wish I was there!!!

Were your first thoughts.. WHY ME?, then.. WHAT DID I DO WRONG? then OH, PLEASE..
then...ok, what am I to learn from this.

Finally...When all has pasted, does that mean I learned what was needed or does it mean I just advanced to the next level!
posted by Kathy U

Paula said...

Ohhh, I feel so bad for you! If only you guys lived closer I'd come help! Take care of yourself and just don't do too much, everything will wait, give your back time to adjust to whatever it needs to adjust to!