I have decided to again become politically active. I don't mean that I'm going to run for Senate or anything but I am going to become involved again.
In high school I was very well informed about what was going on in the world around me. I could name all the major political figures of the day. I had opinions on a variety of subjects and could back up my arguments. But then something happened. I can't say when or what caused it but I became disinterested. I started to hate politics and politicians. It was so full of mean-spirited back-biting, lies, silly debates, corruption and other things that just sickened me I had to dis-associate myself from it all.
I now realize that was a mistake. I need to be involved for exactly those reasons named above. I need to, in some manner, speak out against that type of activity.
One of the hot button issues here in Cincinnati right now is the policy of Eminent Domain. The city of Cincinnati just stole property from an 80 year old woman who had lived in her home for 47 YEARS. They decided that the rights of a land developer (and the tax $$$ it will bring in) were more important than this woman's right to property. This issue REALLY gets me fired up. I am ALL for capitalism and the desire for businesses to earn profits, that's why they are in business. If they want a particular piece of property then they should offer to buy it. If the person doesn't want to sell, you offer more. And keep raising your offer until it reaches an amount that is either satisfactory to both parties or if not, then you walk away and try to find another piece of property. If you can't find another piece of property then guess what---sorry, no business for you. Explore other options. Businesses should not have the ability to decide that a price for piece of property is too high so we are just going to go to the city council, wave dollar signs in their face, and have them claim eminent domain on a home owner.
I really really hope this comes back to bite the city in the butt. I definitely know who I will not be voting for when their re-election comes around. I don't care what their justification for it is, or any other policies they have that I might agree with, if they cannot respect the fundamental right of property ownership then I can't believe they will respect any other rights.
Now I'm all fired up. I better take a break.
Sunday, May 07, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment